Lanolin 50g jar - solid, by Knots and Dots
This is the natural waxy substance which is washed off the wool when the sheep are sheared.
We use it to lanolise woollen nappy pants, knitted & crocheted soakers and longies (trousers), essentially washing the lanolin back into the wool to give it back its natural waterproof qualities.
Pictures show me lanolising some Disana nappy pants.
1. Hand wash your new or old wool items in wool wash or even just baby shampoo in luke warm (30 degree) water. Rinse and squeeze out the excess water. Refill your sink or bowl with luke-warm water.
2. In a mug or similar receptacle add 1tsp (a tbsp if 2+ items) of solid lanolin to a cup of boiling water with a couple of drops of wool wash or baby shampoo. This emulsifies the lanolin, making it look milky when thoroughly dissolved.
3. Add the lanolin mixture to the water, stir and add your wool item(s).
4. Leave for 30 mins (or a few hours if you want). Have a cuppa.
5. Gently squeeze the water out of your woollies. Lay flat on a towel and roll up tightly in the towel to squeeze out as much of the water as possible.
6. Hang up to dry - this will take approx. 2 days (unless you have a dehumidifier).